May 4, 2020
By Brian Petty
During this quarantine, I’ve had a lot of thoughts flood my mind. Many of us have been forced into a sabbath. To rest and slow down. Since the “Stay at Home” order been in place, I’ve had the margin to write down my thoughts. To write out my thoughts and to replace them with God’s truth. Here are some of them.
– No one feels the way I do right now, I am alone during this time.
– Brian, I know the way you feel. I sent myself down to earth, the same earth you are living in today, the same earth you are walking today. I humbled myself, sent myself down and walked your walk. I have experienced and I still experience every emotion and feelings you have experienced. I cry. I laugh. I get upset. But I am with you Brian. Listen to this truth and believe it. The truth is “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” (Isaiah 41:10) Trust me Brian because I am with you always.
– What if I lose my jobs. My jobs can easily be consumed by others within the organization. I’m not “essential.”
– Brian, you are essential. You’re an essential part of my Kingdom. So essential that I created you. I dreamed of you. I knew you before you were created in your mother’s womb. Believe me Brian because the truth is “Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.” (Jeremiah 1:5) But Brian, you’re not wrong. There may be a chance you can lose your jobs, but I am Jehovah Jireh. The Lord that provides and so believe this, “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Therefore, do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.” (Matthew 6:25-33) Keep seeking me first Brian, and I will provide all that you need.
– I am slowly dying. I’m such an extrovert and need to be surrounded by people.
– Brian, come to me. I am the source you need to have. I will satisfy all your needs. For I am the True Vine, you are my Branch and this is my truth, “Jesus said to her, ‘Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.’” (John 4:13-14) The things of this world will never satisfy you, but I always will Brian. Come to me whenever you’re feeling low and I will satisfy your thirst.
– God, why is this happening?
– Brian, some things right now are too great for you to understand. For if you understood every situation, you will no longer need me. Just take my son and daughter, Adam and Eve, for example. They had everything they needed yet they fell into temptation of wanting to know more. Knowing more can sometimes harm you instead of benefit you. Just trust me. I have my hand on this situation. Think of all the amazing things that I have already done because of this. Stay close to me, stay faithful., stand firm and I will see you through this. I will reveal more as each day goes by.
– God, are you even working during this?
– Brian, I know it’s hard to see it but I am. I always am. In front of you and behind you. This is my assignment for you, “Be still, and know that I am God” (Psalm 41:10) and trust that I am working. This is the truth, “My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working.” (John 5:17) I am always working. In every part of the world, in every home and in every person. I am working.
These are my thoughts. Maybe you have similar thoughts. Maybe you don’t. Maybe you have other thoughts and I encourage you all to ask God what the truth behind them is. I encourage you to take on the assignment that God has given me, “Be still, and know that I am God” (Psalm 41:10) and trust that He is working during this pandemic. I am reminded of lyrics from a song.
Even when I don’t see it, you’re working.
Even when I don’t feel it, you’re working.
You never stop, you never stop working.
You never stop, Jesus you are.
– Waymaker by Leeland
To end this, I would love for you to join me in a prayer for serenity. A Prayer for peacefulness, calmness and stillness.
Prayer for Serenity
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time,
enjoying one moment at a time;
accepting hardship as a pathway to peace;
taking, as Jesus did,
this sinful world as it is,
not as I would have it;
trusting that You will make all things right
if I surrender to Your will;
so that I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with You forever in the next.